Tuesday, September 8, 2009

A Call to Serve

Stories from the Team (this post was originally sent out as an e-mail: "A Message from Marylou and Mark", by Marylou.)
July 2009
Dear Family and Friends,

We're heading "down under" this September on a missions trip to visit friends of ours from church, Bruce and Paula McFarland. They are missionaries in Papua New Guinea (PNG) and have been serving there since the 1990's. The two youngest of their six children, Peter and Anna, are still there with them. The main purpose of their missionary group is to translate the Bible into the native languages of the people. There are over 800 languages in PNG! The McFarlands are not translators themselves; they teach at the school for missionary children. They are also very active in their church in one of the villages teaching Sunday school, leading Bible studies and ministering to the native people.

The McFarland's home in PNG is very small; Anna's bedroom is also Bruce's office, and they have no storage space. We and nine others from our church (Journey Christian Church) are planning this missions trip to PNG to put an addition on their home. This addition will give Anna her own room, Bruce his office space and much needed storage for their family's belongings.

When the trip was proposed this spring, Mark suggested that we think about going as a family - not for vacation, but for a growth experience we would never forget. I must not have been ready to grow because I said, "No". John was eager and ready (he wants to see his friend, Peter); Nick and Tim agreed with me. I had no idea what my purpose would be in going to this remote part of the world - almost as far away from Rochester, NY as one could get.

My fears were getting the best of me: a 36-hour plane trip, bugs, none of the comforts of home, bugs, crossing a river to get to the villages, and (did I mention?) bugs. Over a couple of months' time, my thoughts began to change. Several Bible passages from my daily readings told me to "fear not" and "trust in the Lord". When this kept happening, I knew the Lord was telling me we should go and He will help me with my fears.

I also discovered my purpose in going when I found out what Paula does on a daily basis and how her work would greatly increase with a team of 14 descending upon them. There would be many meals to cook (without the convenient, pre-washed and bagged items from Wegmans!) and much laundry to do (I'm not sure about washing machines, but all laundry must be hung out to dry - and pray that it doesn't rain). When I heard all of this, I realized God's purpose for me on the trip: go and help Paula. Nick and Tim have come around, too, and we are all very excited (but still nervous) about serving in PNG.

We are also hoping to minister to the kids in the village (e.g. Vacation Bible School). John, Nick and Tim would be able to help with this. While Mark's main focus will be on the construction project, he also hopes to spend time in the village and serve the native people.

We will all be stepping out of our comfort zones and are eager to see how the Lord will use this opportunity to grow us in our faith. If you are so led, please pray for us and the team:
  • For safe travel and timely connections.
  • That we all keep good attitudes during the traveling and serving.
  • That we all stay healthy.
  • That we have opportunities to serve the native people in the villages.
  • That supplies are ready and we are able to complete the building project.
  • That we all grow in faith and knowledge; and trust God in all things.
  • That John, Nick and Tim will catch up with their school work when we return.


We thank you for your prayers…. If you would like to keep up to date with what is going on with our trip - before, during and after - you may do so by checking our blog at http://journeytopng.blogspot.com.

Thank you again and God Bless You!


Marylou (and Mark, John, Nick & Tim) Buonaugurio



So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
-- Isaiah 41:10

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 4:6-8